Cancer Care Basics (CANB00ODM17)
None - Self Directed Learning. Development was led by Donalda MacDonald
This online course will introduce health care professionals to oncology. Oncology patients receive care from all health care settings – including tertiary care centres, general hospitals, community care clinics, long term care and home care. They receive care from many health care professionals, depending on their disease, treatment and needs. Given the increasing complexity of this growing patient population, caring for people with cancer and their families involves a particular set of skills and knowledge from a variety of health care professionals.
This course will introduce the essential concepts in oncology, and provide fundamental information to those who work with oncology patients and their families.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Briefly review normal cell biology and lab values
- Explain key concepts of cancer, including genetics and carcinogenesis
- Explain how a diagnosis of cancer is made, the diagnostic testing necessary to identify stage of disease, and the current treatments available for cancer
- Describe the psychosocial aspects of cancer including screening for distress and sexuality
- List some of the common survivorship issues
- List and describe six common symptoms of cancer, their assessment and management
To receive a certificate, participants must complete the following before the course completion date:
- Complete a pre-course evaluation
- Complete all modules
- Complete the quiz and case studies
- Complete a post-course evaluation
Course Syllabus: To view the course syllabus, please click HERE
Time Commitment: This is a self-paced course. Participants have 10 weeks to complete all the course requirements. Upon successful completion, participants will be awarded a certificate for 20 learning hours.
This course is designed for front line multidisciplinary providers, including family physicians; nurses; and allied health care providers.
Payment must be received before you have access to the course. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course with MasterCard or Visa, or send a cheque to:
de Souza Institute
700 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z6