CNA Hospice Palliative Care Study Group (CHPC03FEB19)
The de Souza Hospice Palliative Care Study Group offers preparatory work to assist independent adult learners as they study to write the CNA Hospice Palliative Care exam. Participants will examine theories and concepts in order to achieve specific competencies as outlined in the CNA exam study guide blueprint. Based on this blueprint, the exam content consists of competencies of a fully competent practicing hospice palliative care nurse with at least two years of experience.
Visit the CNA website for more information on CNA hospice palliative care competency areas.
CNA and the de Souza Institute are offering a special package of savings to CNA members seeking certification in Oncology or Hospice Palliative Care. For more information, click here. Special pricing/discounts cannot be combined.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Articulate the unique and primary responsibility of the hospice palliative care nurse to advocate for a persons’ right to maintain his/her quality of life and describe how to support an individual and their family to experience a dignified and comfortable death.
- Identify how to collaborate with members of an interprofessional team to meet the physical, psychosocial and spiritual needs of the person and his/her family living with life-limiting illness.
- Describe the implementation of a comprehensive, coordinated care plan that emphasizes compassionate whole-person care, including the developmental continuum (infancy to geriatrics) from the diagnosis of a life-limiting illness until death of the person and bereavement for the family
Students will be evaluated using the following guideline:
- A pre-study group survey of participant's perceived knowledge of the practice of Hospice Palliative Care;
- A baseline knowledge test;
- A post-session assessment each week via quizzes and activities;
- Attend in-person or OTN workshop;
- A post study group evaluation of participant's knowledge of the practice of Hospice Palliative Care and feedback for the quality of the study group;
When: The study group begins on February 25, 2019 and runs until May 14, 2019. The face to face symposium and symposium day via webcast will take place on April 16, 2019. The CNA Hospice Palliative Care Certification Exam is written bi-annually in the spring and fall. To register for the Spring 2019 CNA hospice palliative care exam, please visit the CNA website
Course Syllabus: To view the course syllabus, please click HERE
Nurses who register with CNA for the annual specialty exam
Credits: Participating in this study group does not count as a de Souza Designation course credit. It is however, a requirement to obtain a CNA certification in to achieve the Designation of de Souza Nurse or de Souza APN.
Payment must be received by March 25, 2019. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course through ePortfolio by MasterCard or Visa, or send a cheque to:de Souza Institute
700 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z6