Radiation Oncology (RAON02SEP19)
This course is designed to help nurses understand the principles of radiation therapy. Participants will learn how radiation therapy works, its implications on the patient, different treatment methods, treatment side effects and a nurse’s role through the treatment process.
Radiation therapy is an important treatment modality used alone, in combination with other treatments, or as a means to manage symptoms. The goals of radiation treatment are for cure, adjuvant (reduce risk of recurrence), and palliate symptoms. In Canada, almost 50% of patients diagnosed with cancer will have radiation therapy. That is, approximately 100,000 radiation treatment courses were delivered based on a workload survey of cancer treatment programs across Canada (Canadian Association of Radiation Oncology, 2009 as cited in Canadian Partnership for Quality Radiotherapy [CPQR], 2011).
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the most common disease site concurrent protocols using radiation therapy as one of the main modalities;
- Describe the most common side effects, and disease site specific side effects of radiation therapy;
- Develop, plan, organize and complete a poster or oral presentation on radiation therapy.
To receive a certificate and a credit toward a de Souza designation, participants are required to complete:
- Complete a pre-course evaluation
- Complete all eLearning modules and required readings
- Participate in the weekly discussions and postings
- Complete and present case studies
- Complete a post-course evaluation
- Complete end-of-course exam with a passing grade of 80%.
Time Commitment: Approximately 3 hours a week. This course has been modified and it is now a 0.5 credit course.
Course Syllabus: To view the course syllabus, please click HERE
Available to all regulated health care professionals working along the cancer care continuum. Participants must be able to identify an invigilator to monitor their writing of the final exam. The invigilator should be a colleague, not a friend or family member.
Payment must be received by September 23, 2019. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course through ePortfolio by MasterCard or Visa, or send a cheque to:de Souza InstituteLuCliff Place
700 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z6