Foundations in Oncology Nursing Practice (FONP01JUL19)
This online course will introduce regulated health care professionals to the art and science of oncology nursing practice. Oncology patients receive care from all health care settings - including acute care teaching hospitals, tertiary care centers, general hospitals and community care. Given the increasing complexity of this growing patient population, caring for people with cancer and their families involves a particular set of advanced skills and knowledge.
Fundamental concepts in oncology nursing practice will be presented which are essential to those who work with oncology patients. Emphasis will be placed on psychosocial skills and competencies throughout all modules.
This course was originally developed for nurses, however all regulated health care professionals working along the cancer care continuum will benefit from the content. It can be taken by all regulated health care professionals working along the cancer care continuum.
If you have already completed the Cance Care Basics course with us, to complete your learning, we recommend that you take the Cancer Disease Sites Part D course. We DO NOT recommend the "Foundations for Oncology Nursing Practice" course because of content overlap with te "Cancer Care Basdics course. Please note that if you choose to take both "Cancer Care Basics" and "Foundations for Oncology Nursing Practice", only one of them will recieve a de Souza credits towards a de Souza Designation.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain cell biology and genetics in both the cancer process and throughout all stages of the cancer trajectory and summarize the disease process for the major types of cancers in Canada;
- Describe the psychosocial impact of cancer, demonstrate interventions for nursing practice and develop strategies for patient teaching along the cancer care trajectory;
- Demonstrate the nurse’s role in the care of patients in all areas of the cancer care trajectory.
To receive a certificate and a 0.75 credit toward Treatment and Delivery of Evidence Based Care, participants must complete the following before the course completion date:
- Complete a pre-course evaluation
- Complete all modules and readings
- Complete all end-of-section course tests with a passing grade of 70% (Note: there is a maximum of two attempts per test in each section)
- Complete a post-course evaluation
Time Commitment: This is a self-paced course. Participants have 4 months to complete all the course requirements. Upon successful completion, participants will be awarded a certificate for 40 hours.
Course Syllabus: To view the course syllabus, please click HERE
Available to all regulated health care professionals working along the cancer care continuum.
Payment must be received by July 8, 2019. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course through ePortfolio by MasterCard or Visa, or send a cheque to:de Souza Institute
700 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z6