Patient Navigation (PNON03JAN20)
This course is designed to help regulated health care professionals apply the principles of navigation throughout the cancer care continuum. Participants will learn about theoretical models of patient support and the process of patient adjustment to cancer.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- List the domains of need, and the phases of need along the cancer trajectory;
- Incorporate the Social-Cognitive Transition Model of Adjustment into your practice;
- Identify patient communication cues and how to overcome communication barriers;
- Apply a patient-centered approach to assessment using tools such as FIFE, ESASr, Canadian Problem Checklist, and Symptom Management Guidelines to provide consistent physical, psychosocial, and practical patent assessments;
- Using adult learning principles, apply patient education techniques to learning styles, identify the type of information the patient is seeking, and assess the patient’s readiness to learn;
- Use the Calgary Family Assessment tool and the 5 elements of cultural competence to incorporate culturally appropriate care into your practice;
- Explain the importance of self-care for the nurse in preventing compassion fatigue and burnout;
- Identify social supports and resources in your community to share with patients/families/caregivers.
To receive a certificate and a 0.5 credit toward a de Souza designation, participants are required to complete the following:
- Complete a pre-course evaluation
- Complete all section case studies and forum discussions
- Complete final assignment
- Complete post-course evaluation
Time Commitment: Approximately 3 to 4 hours per week.
Course Syllabus: To view the course syllabus, please click HERE
Available to all regulated health care professionals working along the cancer care continuum.
Payment must be received by January 6, 2020. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course through My Account by MasterCard or Visa, or send a cheque to:de Souza InstituteLuCliff Place
700 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z6