Chemotherapy Competency Maintenance Course (CCMC03JAN20)
This is a self-paced course designed for those who have completed the Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy course. de Souza Institute recommends nurses take this course in order to maintain their competency in this area, and that all nurses include reflective practice in their systemic therapy competency maintenance process. Several reflective practice tools have been developed to assist in this and are accessible through this course.
Reflective practice is integrated into the course, as an essential aspect of an ongoing competency maintenance program. It contains the following five steps: assessment, peer feedback, development of a learning plan, implementation of a learning plan and an evaluation of the learning experience. Several reflective practice tools have been developed to assist in this and are accessible through this course. The tools have been designed to be consistent with the College of Nurses of Ontario’s annual Quality Assurance Program and CANO/ACIO standards; and may be integrated within your annual portfolio for your college, and within your organization’s annual competency maintenance processes.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate evidenced based principles for venous access device care and maintenance for patients receiving chemotherapy and biotherapy and for safe handling of hazardous drugs, including demonstrating appropriate application of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and management of a hazardous drug spill;
- Apply evidence based principles for managing adverse events (infusion reactions and flare reactions);
- Explain the advantages and challenges of oral chemotherapy and safety and assessment principles associated with their administration;
- Describe the changes that occur with aging and their impact on chemotherapy administration and care;
- Begin an annual reflective practice assessment of your chemotherapy and biotherapy nursing practice.
To receive a certificate, participants must complete the following:
- Complete the pre-course evaluation
- Complete all modules
- Complete the course exam with a passing mark of 80%
- Complete a post-course evaluation
Time Commitment: This is a self-paced course that should be completed over 4 to 6 weeks. Plan to invest a minimum of 5 hours in completing the course. Supplemental readings may be required based on participants' learning plan prior to the exam. The course exam will take 50 min.
Course Syllabus: To view the course syllabus, please click HERE
To enroll in the course, participants must be registered nurses who have completed the Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Course.
Payment must be received by December 30, 2020. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course through ePortfolio by MasterCard or Visa, or send a cheque to:de Souza InstituteLuCliff Place
700 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z6