Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Course (PSCB)
The Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy course (PSCB) is delivered online and tailored to the needs of oncology nurses. Nurses can pace their study time independently and still be part of a supportive learning community. The course is facilitated by advanced practice nurses/educators; the content is Canadian, up to date, and delivered with engaging and clinically relevant interactive activities and case studies.
Participants: Registered Nurses who have foundational oncology knowledge and are in a position to regularly administer chemotherapy and biotherapy.
- This is not an introductory course.
- For nurses new to oncology or who would like to work in oncology, we highly recommend the Foundations in Oncology Nursing Practice course first, before PSCB.
- Participants receive credit for 35 learning hours upon successful completion of the course, which is open for access over an 11-week period.
- Depending on level of experience, some participants may need to spend more than 35 hours and some may require less than 35 hours to complete the course.
- This course is delivered online via an eLearning platform, which allows participants to study at their own pace.
- Quizzes, assignments and other learning outcome assessments are due at fixed dates and enable for evaluation of participants’ grasp of concepts.
- To support skills and development and critical thinking of Whole Person Care, participants must complete one of the two learning activities:
- Workshop: A full day, face-to-face workshop will be held at a local facility at regional cancer centers or hospitals. This is an important part of learning in the PSCB regular offering in January, April and September each year. For nurses new to chemotherapy and biotherapy administration, this workshop option is highly recommended.
- Workshop Replacement Assignment (no workshop): During the COVID pandemic as well as in February, May and October of each year, PSCB course offerings will NOT include a face-to-face workshop. Instead, participants will complete a workshop-replacement assignment designed to demonstrate knowledge consolidation. Although nurses new to chemotherapy and biotherapy can choose this option, it is more suitable for nurses who are already familiar with chemotherapy and biotherapy administration.
- There will be an open book invigilated online exam for all participants.
Following the successful completion of this course, participants are recommended to complete a preceptorship at their sponsoring organization to finalize their competency development.
This does NOT apply to AHS O-PREP learners
Following a careful review of the COVID-19 pandemic trajectory and the ongoing uncertainty, the 2022 Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy (PSCB) course will be offered with options for learners.
- If COVID-19 is under control and a workshop is scheduled at learners’ workplaces, learners will be required to attend the in-person workshop
- If learners are not able to attend an in-person workshop due to pandemic related policies, restrictions or availability, they will be instructed to submit a workshop replacement assignment that covers the core content that is presented within the 7.5-hour workshop.
We will work closely with our regional chemotherapy facilitators and are committed to support everyone during this difficult time. Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
Participants must be Registered Nurses with vascular access device competence.
Jan 10, 2022 - Mar 28, 2022
Fee (CAD): $ 679.00
Mixed Modality [eLearning and in class]