Foundations of Cancer Disease Sites - Stomach Cancer (CDSM00STOMACHODM21)
Stomach cancer is the fifth most common cancer worldwide and unfortunately is often diagnosed in advanced stages. This course will introduce you to stomach cancer (gastric cancer) epidemiology, pathology, diagnosis, and treatment, covering the foundational knowledge you need to provide nursing care to patients with stomach cancer and their families. This online course will build on what you learned in Foundations of Oncology Nursing Practice or Cancer Care Basics.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- List the common pathological subtypes of stomach cancer.
- Describe the trends in stomach cancer incidence and mortality over the last decades.
- List the factors that put a person at higher risk of developing stomach cancer and the prognostic factors that put a person at higher risk of dying from stomach cancer.
- Explain the relationship between H. pylori infection and stomach cancer prevention.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of stomach cancer and describe the general diagnostic pathway for stomach cancer.
- Describe the TNM staging system for stomach cancer.
- Explain the types of surgery used to treat each stage of stomach cancer.
- Explain the use of chemotherapy, targeted therapies and radiation therapy by stomach cancer stage.
- Anticipate some of the complications that can occur after gastrectomy.
This course consists of two self-directed eLearning modules and a final quiz.
The final quiz consists of a case study where you will apply your knowledge to the care of a particular patient living with stomach cancer. The quiz is open-book and a passing grade is 75%.
Although you can complete the various components of the course at your own pace, the course must be completed within 6 weeks from the time you register for the course.
Download the full Course Syllabus.
Available to all regulated health care professionals working along the cancer care continuum.
Payment must be received before you have access to the course. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course online with a credit card, or send a cheque to:de Souza Institutec/o The Michener Institute of Education
222 St. Patrick Street, Office 503
Toronto, ON M5T 1V4