Foundations of Cancer Disease Sites - Liver Cancer (CDSM00LIVERODM21)
The liver is a common site of cancer metastases, though primary liver cancer is relatively uncommon in Canada. Unfortunately, the incidence rate of liver cancer has been increasing for the past 30 years in Canada, likely due to increasing rates of chronic hepatitis B (HBV) and hepatitis C (HCV) infection and increasing rates of heavy alcohol consumption, diabetes, and obesity. This course will introduce you to primary liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma) epidemiology, pathology, diagnosis, and treatment, covering the foundational knowledge you need to provide nursing care to patients with liver cancer and their families. This online course will build on what you learned in Foundations of Oncology Nursing Practice or Cancer Care Basics.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the major pathological types of hepatic cancer.
- Describe the trends in liver cancer incidence and mortality over the last decades.
- List factors that put a person at higher risk of developing liver cancer.
- Explain cancer prevention strategies for liver cancer including the role of hepatitis B vaccination.
- List the prognostic factors that put a person at higher risk of dying from liver cancer.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of primary liver cancer and describe the general diagnostic pathway for primary liver cancer.
- Describe the Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer (BCLC) staging system for primary liver cancer.
- Explain the types of treatment offered for each stage of primary liver cancer, according to the BCLC staging system.
This course consists of two self-directed eLearning modules and a final quiz.
The final quiz consists of a case study where you will apply your knowledge to the care of a particular patient living with primary liver cancer. The quiz is open-book and a passing grade is 75%.
Although you can complete the various components of the course at your own pace, the course must be completed within 6 weeks from the time you register for the course.
Download the full Course Syllabus
Available to all regulated health care professionals working along the cancer care continuum.
Payment must be received before you have access to the course. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course online with a credit card, or send a cheque to:de Souza Institutec/o The Michener Institute of Education
222 St. Patrick Street, Office 503
Toronto, ON M5T 1V4