Patient Teaching and Education (PTED01JUL19)
This online self-paced course is designed to help health care providers identify learning styles of patients and adjust their delivery of information accordingly. The course is developed in partnership with Cancer Care Ontario and University Health Network. It is built on the award winning program ‘Maximizing Patient Education Skills Workshop’.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the relationship between patient-centered care & patient education in improving patient satisfaction;
- Apply the basic principles of communication, active listening and empathy, determine patients’ communication style and assess providers’ own style to ensure that health education is carried out effectively;
- Review the principles of adult education, teaching and learning and apply learning from the course by working with case studies embedded in the online modules.
To receive a certificate and a 0.25 credit toward a de Souza designation, participants are required to complete:
- Complete a baseline evaluation
- Complete all modules
- Complete all required readings and activities
- Complete end of course assignment
- Participate in the discussion forums
- Complete a post-course evaluation
Time Commitment: Approximately 2 to 3 hours a week, as some weeks will have more activities and readings than other weeks.
Course Syllabus: To view the course syllabus, please click HERE
Offered to all Regulated Health Care Professionals working along the cancer care continuum.
Payment must be received by July 1, 2019. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course through ePortfolio by MasterCard or Visa, or send a cheque to:de Souza Institute
700 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5G 1Z6