Foundations of Cancer Disease Sites - Prostate Cancer (CDSM00PROSTATEODM22)
This course is an update of the disease sites information in the Foundations of Oncology Nursing Practice (FONP) course, which covered breast, lung, colorectal and prostate cancer. If you have completed Foundations in Oncology Nursing Practice recently, do not take this course unless you wish to review an updated version of the previous disease site content.
Canadian males are more likely to develop prostate cancer than any other cancer. Fortunately, prostate cancer has one of the highest 10-year net survival rates of all cancers. This course will introduce you to prostate cancer epidemiology, pathology, diagnosis, and treatment, covering the foundational knowledge you need to provide nursing care to patients with prostate cancer and their families. This online course will build on what you learned in Foundations of Oncology Nursing Practice or Cancer Care Basics.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Locate the gross anatomical features of the prostate and surrounding structures.
- Identify precancerous conditions that are related to prostate cancer development.
- Describe the trends in prostate cancer incidence and mortality within Canada.
- Identify known risk factors for prostate cancer, and discuss the role of possible risk factors in prostate cancer development.
- Discuss the benefits and harms of screening for prostate cancer using the PSA test.
- Recognize the presenting signs and symptoms of prostate cancer.
- Describe the general diagnostic pathway for prostate cancer.
- Demonstrate how the Gleason grading system is used to grade prostate tumours.
- Explain the TNM staging system for prostate cancer.
- Explain the use of the different types of treatment for prostate cancer including active surveillance, surgery, radiation, hormone therapy, and chemotherapy.
- Discuss the sexual health side effects of the different treatments for prostate cancer.
- Describe how to use the EPIC tool, a survivorship and quality of life tool that assesses follow-up care needs after treatment.
This course consists of two self-directed eLearning modules and a final quiz.
The final quiz consists of a case study where you will apply your knowledge to the care of a particular patient living with prostate cancer. The quiz is open-book and a passing grade is 70%.
Although you can complete the various components of the course at your own pace, the course must be completed within 6 weeks from the time you register for the course.
Download the full Course Syllabus
Available to all regulated health care professionals working along the cancer care continuum.
Payment must be received before you have access to the course. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course online with a credit card, or send a cheque to:de Souza Institutec/o The Michener Institute of Education
222 St. Patrick Street, Office 503
Toronto, ON M5T 1V4