AHS Cohort - Chemotherapy Competency Maintenance Course (ACCM00ODM19)
This offering is only for Alberta Health Services Oncology Practice Readiness Education Program (O-PREP) participants.
This course is offered in collaboration with (O-PREP) in Alberta and de Souza Institute in Ontario. This is a self-paced course designed for those who have completed the AHS Cohort - Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy course. O-PREP and de Souza Institute recommends nurses take this course every 12 to 18 months to maintain their Certificate of Completion for the Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Course.
Reflective practice is an essential part of nursing practice, professional development, and continuing competence reporting for practice permits (College & Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta, 2019; College of Licensed Practice Nurses of Alberta, 2015). As such, reflective practice is integrated into this maintenance course. It contains the following five steps: assessment, peer feedback, development of a learning plan, implementation of a learning plan and an evaluation of the learning experience.
The tools have been designed to be consistent with CARNA’s Entry-Level Competencies for the Practice of Registered Nurses and annual practice renewal requirements, the CLPNA’s Competency Profile for LPNs, and the Canadian Association of Nurses in Oncology (CANO/ACIO) practice standards. These tools may be integrated within your professional portfolio and for permit renewal process.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate evidenced based principles for venous access device care and maintenance for patients receiving chemotherapy and biotherapy and for safe handling of hazardous drugs, including demonstrating appropriate application of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and management of a hazardous drug spill;
- Apply evidence based principles for managing adverse events (infusion reactions and flare reactions);
- Explain the advantages and challenges of oral chemotherapy and safety and assessment principles associated with their administration;
- Describe the changes that occur with aging and their impact on chemotherapy administration and care;
- Begin an annual reflective practice assessment of your chemotherapy and biotherapy nursing practice.
To receive a certificate, participants must complete the following:
- Complete the pre-course evaluation
- Complete all modules
- Complete the course exam with a passing mark of 80%
- Complete a post-course evaluation
Time Commitment: This is a self-paced course that should be completed over 4 to 6 weeks. Plan to invest a minimum of 5 hours in completing the course. Supplemental readings may be required based on participants' learning plan prior to the exam. The course exam takes 50 minutes to complete.
Note: To maintain your Certificate of Completion for the Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Course, you must successfully complete this maintenance course every 12 to 18 months.
Course Syllabus: To view the course syllabus, please click HERE
To enroll in the course, participants must be Alberta Health Services Oncology Practice Readiness Education Program (O-PREP) participants who have completed the AHS Cohort - Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Course.
Please be aware, your manager and invigilator will be contacted by email to verify their support. Verification is mandatory for registration
For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
O-PREP Participants are not charged a fee for this course.