Advanced Pain Assessment and Management (APAM02SEP21)
This course is designed for participants who are already familiar with the World Health Organization (WHO) ladder for pain management. Participants will learn the pathophysiology of cancer pain, cancer pain syndromes, pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions for intractable pain in palliation and how to conduct educational and advocacy work.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain cancer pain etiology and pathophysiology.
- Utilize evidence-based pain assessment tools and management strategies.
- Understand the selection of analgesic medications.
- Calculate opioids dosing and apply optimal administration method for effective pain control.
- Describe the management of intractable pain in palliation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of non-pharmacological interventions in managing cancer pain.
- Provide support and interventions to address the multi-dimensional impact of pain.
To receive your certificate and a 0.5 credit toward your de Souza designation, you are required to complete:
- Complete a baseline evaluation
- Complete all eLearning modules on pain and required readings
- Participate in weekly discussion forums
- Complete and present case studies
- Complete a post-course evaluation
Time Commitment: Approximately 2 hours per week and a 4-hour workshop via Video Conference.
Live Session: The 4-hour workshop via Video Conference will be held on TBD - 1:00 to 4:30 p.m. EDT. (Day and Time to be confirmed)
Course Syllabus: To view the course syllabus, please click HERE
This course is available to RNs and RPNs; it is highly encouraged that the nurse has at least 6 months of practice.
Payment must be received by September 6, 2021. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course through ePortfolio by MasterCard or Visa, or send a cheque to:de Souza Institutec/o The Michener Institute of Education
222 St. Patrick Street, Office 503
Toronto, ON M5T 1V4