Addressing Empathy Fatigue, Managing Grief for Healthcare Professionals (AEFG03JAN24)
This course focuses on teaching health care professionals how to recognize and assess the impact of grief and loss on their practice, and apply effective communication and coping mechanisms to reduce the risk of empathy fatigue.
The main mechanisms to facilitate learning in this course will entail eLearning and six 1.5 hour weekly real time videoconference sessions. Lecture and case based interactive learning will allow participants to explore a variety of key learning themes.
- Course Objectives
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the types of grief experiences and their specific impacts on health care professionals;
- Apply tools for self-assessment to recognize indicators signaling difficulties in coping and managing grief and loss;
- Plan communication strategies to facilitate coping and build a support systems to facilitate work life balance.
To receive your certificate and a 0.25 credit toward your de Souza designation, you are required to:
- Complete a pre-course evaluation
- Submit a personal Clinical scenario
- Participate fully in at least 4 out of 6 live sessions
- Complete the final assignment
- Complete a post-course evaluation
MODE OF LEARNING
The main mechanisms to facilitate learning in this course will entail eLearning and Six 1.5 hours "Live" sessions with a faculty facilitator once each week using real time video conference (e.g. Zoom) (“Live Classroom”) starting on Tuesday, January 23, 2024 from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. EASTERN TIME (Toronto Canada) Live sessions are mandatory for this course. We realize that being available for all six live classroom sessions may be difficult due to unforeseen circumstances so we allow up to 2 missed sessions. The live sessions are recorded for you to review at any time after the session.
- Monday, January 15, 2024 – Access to the eLearning Centre and on-line course material
- Tuesday, January 23, 2024 – 1st live session
- Tuesday, January 30, 2024 – 2nd "Live Session"
- Tuesday, February 6, 2024 – 3rd "Live Session"
- Tuesday, February 13, 2024 - 4th “Live Session”
- Tuesday, February 20, 2024 – 5th "Live Session"
- Tuesday, February 27, 2024 – 6th "Live Session"
- Monday, March 11, 2024 – e-Learning closes
To be successful in completing this course, you are encouraged to set aside 2 to 3 hours each week to participate in live sessions and complete weekly readings and discussion form postings. The total learning hours for this course is 13 hours.
To view the full course syllabus and course timeline, please click HERE
This course is designed for regulated health care professionals in hospitals, cancer centres and the community who provide care to those experiencing cancer, including physicians, nurses, psychologists, social workers, spiritual care providers and others.
Funding Opportunities: Please click HERE for more details.
Group pricing is available when you have 3 or more courses or participants. Click HERE for more details.
Payment must be received by January 2, 2024. For more information, please visit our Cancellation & No Show Policy.
Participants can pay for this course through ePortfolio by MasterCard or Visa, or send a cheque to:de Souza Institutec/o The Michener Institute of Education
222 St. Patrick Street, Office 503
Toronto, ON M5T 1V4