de Souza Expert Facilitator Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Course Part 1 (CBFT02OCT19)
This two-part course is part of the de Souza Expert Facilitator designation program. This course is designed to help RNs interested in facilitating de Souza Institute’s Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy (PSCB) course in their local organization, who meet the eligibility criteria, become expert facilitators. The program will help participants apply theoretical frameworks and adult learning principles to the PSCB course, and gain insights into the process and standards for facilitating the course.
Part 1 of the course is the initial training program in which facilitators develop the skills required to facilitate de Souza Institute’s standardized curriculum. The course is completed online and via workshop.
In Part 2, facilitators facilitate the course. Participants must deliver the course (facilitate the workshop locally, or lead the full course) at least twice in a one year time frame for a total of 15 hours, to a minimum of 4 colleagues per session to receive 1.0 de Souza credit for the program.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Summarize theoretical frameworks, adult teaching learning principles, and standards guiding de Souza Institute’s Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy course.
- Summarize your role as a course facilitator in light of adult teaching-learning principles and facilitation theory. Summarize how you can enhance your facilitation skills.
- Articulate key elements of the chemotherapy and biotherapy standardized curriculum required for learners to be successful.
- Explain how the curriculum can be adjusted to meet local needs for the course workshop (a core set of elements must be included for the curriculum to be certified as a de Souza standardized program).
- Explain the steps and process required to successfully facilitate the standardized course, including:
- Facilitating the online component of the course.
- Facilitating the workshop component of the course.
- Exam processes, including invigilation.
- Course evaluation, quality improvements and the facilitator’s role in making recommendations to enhance the curriculum.
- Workshop role playing criteria.
- Identify solutions to common challenging questions encountered during course facilitation with PSCB participants, and articulate responses relevant to participants’ unique practice settings.
In order to receive a certificate for 6.5 hours, participants must complete the following:
Complete and submit facilitator application online
- Complete the pre-readings and preparative activities via eLearning
- Attend the training session via webcast
- Complete all online activities
- In order to recieve a 1.0 credit toward a de Souza designation, participants must complete Part 2 of the course and deliver content from the workshop at least two times totaling a minimum of 15 hours to 4 or more participants per session.
Webcast Date: October TBD, 2019 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (Toronto time) via GoToMeeting
Course Syllabus: To view the course syllabus, please click HERE
As per our Academic policy, participants will be removed from the course if they do not meet the eligibility criteria below.
To be considered eligible to facilitate, a candidate must first complete an application and meet the following conditions:
- Successfully complete de Souza Institute’s Provincial Standardized Chemotherapy and Biotherapy course.
- Be a Registered Nurse in good standing with their respective College of Nurses and intending to practice following completion of the program.
- Certified in Oncology Nursing Canada (CON(C)) or the Oncology Nursing Certification (OCN).
- Two years of experience in cancer chemotherapy and biotherapy care and/or teaching cancer chemotherapy and biotherapy care.
- Have manager/supervisor approval.